Key Considerations For Using An Egg Donor Or Gestational Surrogate To Build & Grow Your Family In Kansas CityPosted by Pathways to Parenthood | August 19, 2015
Using an egg donor, sperm donor, or gestational surrogate can be can effective option for those struggling with fertility. With appropriate medical, legal, and psychological preparation, egg donation and gestational surrogacy can help build families and provide a rewarding experience for all involved.
The American Society For Reproductive Medicine is an excellent resource for reproductive health topics. The list of key considerations listed below is taken from their fact sheet about Gamete (egg and sperm) and Embryo Donation. You can access the full article here:
These key considerations can help you to avoid unmet expectations or disappointments in the future.
- Consult with specialists in reproductive medicine who are qualified and experienced.
- Use legal counsel that is well-versed in reproductive law in locations where both the donor and recipients reside.
- Work with a mental health professional who is experienced and familiar with the issues of third-party family-building.
- Consider if, when, what, and how to tell the child and others.
- Understand that:
- Laws regarding reproductive rights are constantly changing.
- Files regarding donation identities may be opened at any time (if they are challenged in court or if current laws change).
- Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.
- Secrets are difficult to keep, and information can be unintentionally shared or discovered with science and technology that are advanced and more widely accessible.
- Making peace with your personal feelings about donation must be done before sharing this information.
For information about using an egg donor or gestational surrogate to build and grow your family, visit us today at www.pathwaystoparenthood.com.
Egg Donor Program Disclaimer
Pathways to Parenthood Surrogacy Agency’s egg donor program is no longer in operation. After many wonderful years of helping families grow through egg donation, the difficult but necessary decision was made to close the program. The Covid pandemic’s economic impact and change in market conditions greatly influenced our decision.
The good news is that we are still building families through surrogacy. Plus, given our years of experience, we can provide education and guidance regarding the egg donation process for family building, and also recommendations and referrals for finding an egg donor. Please contact us for more information.